Friday, October 5, 2012

Adventures in Logophilia Day 24: Watershed

Today's word is:

watershed
 
A watershed (noun) is a divide or, more specifically, a region or area bounded peripherally by a divide and draining ultimately into a particular watercourse or body of water.  This is used to describe a crucial dividing point, line or factor; a turning point.  A watershed moment.
 
Always, I've found, that coming to see Michelle divides little epochs in my life.  The last time I was here, I had the spark of inspiration for a novel.  This time, I am learning to test the waters of a writer-in-the-world.  This is the point where things have come into total clarity (or near-total clarity), and I cannot go back to the former way of thinking about graduate school or how it relates to my worth as a writer.  I am in watershed days now, and I am excited to see what pool these waters eventually fill.

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I've found that schooling didn't get me much in the wide world of writing: hard work and constant, persistent, dogged try-rewrite-try-again, bark up every tree, write, write, and write some more (Mr. Martin definitely had the right on that one) network like a fiend, blog and facebook and twittering, and never give up, on the other hand... well, it did better anyway. Hopefully that makes you feel better one way or another :)

    (Kat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kat. That does help. It's taken me a long time to realize that there is no better way to learn to write and improve is to teach yourself. I consider myself enrolled in the Stephen King school of thought! ;)

    Happy writing to you, friend!

    -jillian

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.