Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Blue Sugar and Silver Shoes (Michelle)

In The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron recommends the "discipline" of taking a weekly "artist's date," to allow yourself to play, recharge, collect images for future work. "Restock the pond" is a phrase she uses. It never quite works for me, in that if I try to plan an artist date, I get stressed out and feel burdened, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the enterprise. I do take a lot of impromptu artist dates though: sudden decisions to poke through an antique store, spur-of-the moment doodle sessions, unexpected trips to the children's section of a used bookstore...

I had a lovely one yesterday when I was making cookies with two toddlers of my acquaintance, and one of them spilled an entire bottle of blue sugar crystals (you know, decorating sugars) all over the floor. Now, I got in huge trouble as a ten-year-old (and rightly so) for sprinkling glitter all over the basement floor one afternoon and dancing around in it. And I have always nourished a secret (or not-so-secret) wish to be Ginger Rogers, gliding around in a fantastical world of art-deco satin and sparkles. (In college, I wrote a paper for a philosophy course trying to justify this. No joke.)

So, instead of being upset that there were blue sugar crystals all over the kitchen floor, glittering in the afternoon sun, I found myself incredibly pleased. I was wearing silver flats, too, so as I shuffled around, broom in hand, gathering up the sugar, I felt like I'd been given a huge present. It was spring cleaning day in Candyland; an explosion in Mr. Wonka's factory; perhaps it was the most serious problem Ginger Rogers would face after her sparkly, tap-dancey marriage to one of Fred Astaire's many smooth-faced characters.

I would highly recommend that, if you think you can be free enough of your social training that teaches you not to make deliberate messes, you immediately buy a bottle of decorating sugar (or glitter, I suppose) and dump it all over the floor to shuffle around in.

This is artist date suggestion #1. I have no doubt that more will follow!

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Michie, I totally needed that spark of glitter in my writing-life today. Let's just say that things are slow... and my usual mad brain-storming sessions seem to get me nowhere save disappointed hopes. Perhaps that is too melodramatic... but I needed to hear this... restock my pond... and keep working through kinks!

    I cannot say that I am inclined to spill sprinkles everywhere... but I am looking for similar opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, that is lovely! I love the vision of you dancing in your silver flats. Full of magic and sparkle: definitely a full pond making moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could spill the glittering blue sugar all over the floor but I'm not sure I could wear the silver flats. I can't really dance, either. Do you think I could get the same experience just sort of standing in the sugar in brown Oxfords?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That depends entirely on your state of mind, Eric. Though I see the problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great image. And nice tag line. I can hear the sand under Astaire's shoes.
    JM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's awfully nice for the kids to have someone around who is so delighted by their spilling sugar all over the floor! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.