Saturday, October 4, 2008

Swamp Thing (Michelle)

Continuing me on my horror-reading jag, my brother-in-law has recommended the comic books of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing to me. It's been a mind-expanding experience in a lot of ways, especially since I've never been a comic book reader before, outside of Calvin and Hobbes, and it's opened a whole new genre of art to me.

The jury is still out for me on what I think of the medium, and sometimes I definitely find Swamp Thing too overwhelmingly horrible for my sensibilities - the story with the Monkey King (if you're familiar) terrified me, and some of the images are viscerally terrible, disgusting beyond my ability to assimilate.

Yet I keep returning to the stories, because I feel like I'm learning something, about the fate of medieval romance in modern culture (how can you resist a comic book that makes use of the medieval folk motif of the Green Man?!), about the interplay between text and words, about how to write compelling stories and characters...anyway, watch this space. I'm sure I'll have more to say.

I have also been very impressed with Alan Moore's prose. It's dramatic and reminiscent of Lovecraft's excesses, perfectly pitched for comic books, but it has a strong poetic sense as well that really makes the stories as much about words as images. I am impressed.

A sampling, from "Down Amongst the Dead Men":

There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth. Stories shape the world. They exist independently of people, and in places quite devoid of man, there may yet be mythologies. The glaciers have their legends. The ocean bed entertains its own romances. Even here. Even here, within these chill and perished thickets that know no witness save the sleeping toads, each curled like a gorgeous alien fetus beneath its stone. There are stories even here. Stories that grow, as blighted trees, into a tormented puzzle. Frictions that become over-ripe and fester on the vine. The stories here have blossomed into deformities, nurtured by a curious soil. There are heroes, there are wicked uncles and princesses, but the drama is askew, the fairy tales contorts into a tragedy…The hero, slow and massive, comes too late…the wicked uncle’s passing achieves nothing…and the princess finds no cliché in the fate that’s worse than death.

There are also some wonderfully imaginative stories. I loved the dream sequence "Abandoned Houses," in which Abby Arcane visits the collective unconscious, which turns out to be two decrepit houses, the House of Mysteries and the House of Secrets, where all the stories in the world are guarded by Cain and Abel respectively. Cain is being punished for being the first killer, Abel for being the first victim, and every night the crime is repeated. This fusion of Jung and medieval allegory is just bursting with poetic energy and possibilities. Love it.

Likewise, another story includes a journey through the afterlife a la Orpheus, Odysseus, Aeneas, Dante, or, most recently, Philip Pullman's Lyra. I was a little disappointed with the execution, but any modern story that attempts to assimilate those ancient, primal themes of Western literature gets my stamp of approval! I still remember how excited I felt, reading The Amber Spyglass, when I realized I was getting a reworking of the Inferno. Nevermind that I completely disagreed with the worldview fuelling it; it was so exciting to read another modern author engaging the ideas that fuel my own imagination.

So...Swamp Thing. Scary and stimulating. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I have a feeling it's the cup of chai that helps me understand why I like Earl Grey...if I may extend the metaphor to the point of absurdity.

4 comments:

  1. Before you right off comic books entirely, try Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. It is not horror like Alan Moore's Swamp thing but instead ends up being a tragedy in the classical sense. It also is suffused with allusions to literature, philosophy and other graphic novels. Very clever and Gaiman writes beautiful prose and compeling characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, did it seem like I was writing off comic books? That wasn't my intention...it's just that it's a medium I'm unfamiliar with and I wasn't really raised to think of them as art, so there's prejudice to overcome, unfortunately.

    Thanks for the Sandman recommendation! Those are illustrated by Charles Vess, right? I really enjoy both Gaiman and Vess - the latter did some beautiful work for Susanna Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories recently. Reminded me of some of those old Victorian illustrations of fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are my Swamp Thing books--I let Scott borrow them a long time ago . . . Imagine my surprise at seeing them appear here! I think you'll enjoy the American Gothic storyline; it doesn't require a close familiarity with DC Comics history to appreciate, at least not until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I definitely thought the American Gothic part was strongest. I particularly liked the werewolf story (yaaa feminism! hehe), and I wished it was longer. The story set on the plantation was really strong too, particularly in terms of Alan Moore's writing. I loved the ideas of the horrible events there making a "pattern" on the earth. After that concentrated energy, I was kind of disappointed with the last book, which just seemed to be a leisurely journey through every single DC comic book character who lived in outer space...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.