Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Horror? How Grimm! (Michelle)

So, my horror-reading jag continues, sort of - I don't exactly get a lot of time to read these days.

But it's got me thinking about other reading jags of mine. I spent almost two months last year reading nothing but fairy tales, retellings of fairy tales, and critical essays on fairy tales. And it occurred to me that perhaps these two reading jags are not unrelated. It's fairly common knowledge, at this point, that Disney pretty much eviscerated the raw power of the original tales collected by people like the Brothers Grimm and Straparola -- if you spend time with the original tales, there's plenty of horror to go around, and yet it doesn't quite qualify as horror fiction. There are important differences that I'm exploring imaginatively at the moment.


The following is typed pretty much verbatim from a free-write I did, and in it I'm working out the delicate balance between dark and light in my own aesthetic. I imagine that balance is different for everybody, but at the moment I feel like a tuning fork, striking some clear, precise note between horror and happy endings:

Horror is always lurking in the darker corners of fairy tale -- cutting out a young princess' heart, cooking children for dinner, killing wives and keeping them in a bloody chamber...ugh. But what I like about fairy tales is that those dark corners are offset by brighter shades, by the glittering gold of happiness and beauty.

Horror, true horror, is in actual fact a bit too dark for my aesthetic. Though I read Swamp Thing to the end of Alan Moore's run and feel that I got a lot out of it, it was too grim for me. I like a hint of the macabre, but too often in horror it takes over and the darkness is unrelieved.

I like the way fairy tales gesture at horror, at chaos, at darkness, without dwelling there for too long. It does seem rather as though, if you chase the horror too much, if you deliberately linger in the bloody chamber, you can just keep going into ever-deepening dark corners that just grow narrower and narrower but never actually end, as though the actual corner were some kind of asymptote or event horizon which you never reach. From the horror of the threat of incest in "Donkeyskin," you find yourself with the actual presence of a dead uncle reanimating the dead body of your husband in Swamp Thing...and the images are horrible, crawling bugs and rotting zombies...it can always, always get darker. You never actually reach the heart of darkness, but really, do you want to? Aren't you more interested, really, in the light that escapes from it?

Being focused on bottoms, on the roots and limits of evil, leaves you like Gollum, like Matt Cable with his disgusting fantasies. It turns you into Kurtz from The Heart of Darkness; master of your own horrible empire of death. A little bit of the macabre is great, is a good reminder of the speckled, spare, and strange that is truth, but it's too easy to be like some Gothic heroine, edging towards darkness with perverse fascination.

Better by far to explore the mysteries of the light, as though we were all versions of Stephanie Meyer's vampires, who glitter with a thousand colors in sunlight, with so much to see.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Michie! Very true, all of it! And having been reading some Stephanie Meyer lately, I have noticed that same thing... the light just shows brighter when juxtaposed with the dark - the glittering vampires and the life they live together after life seemingly has ended. That makes horror another pathway to seeing hope in an otherwise hopeless world! Love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Maren; very thoughtful and well-written post, especially considering it was a "free write", which I assume means you didn't attempt to edit yourself. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really enjoyed your post, especially the musings on fairy tales. However, isn't light and the juxtaposition between it and darkness necessarily present in horror stories whether or not the author makes it explicit? Because evil doesn't create, it just twists what was already there and that is what it terrifying. The scariest of nightmares seldom involve something completely unknown but rather something that is familar natural and good but has been distorted or somehow flawed. The knowledge of the light, of what the things should be, which makes the horror work, is something the reader brings with them so the author need not necessarily provide it. I also can only take horror stories in mall does, mostly because their point is to scare and not to offer hope.

    Sorry to be so long winded and contradictory. I did really enjoy your post, I am just at work and rather bored. Also, have you read Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrless? Because i think you would really enjoy it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody!

    Eric: yup, a free-write is a more-or-less stream of consciousness, unedited writing session. Generally, I set a time limit or a page limit and don't let my pen stop moving until the time is up. I do one pretty much every day - 3 pages - and I find it immensely, immensely helpful. Some people recommend that you throw your free-writes away and never look at them again, but I can never bring myself to do that. When I reread them, I'm always finding that I'm learning things from myself. :)

    Robert Owen Hood: I agree, horror needs the implied presence of light in order to achieve its goal. I think the difference between light in fairy tales and light in horror, though, is a directionality issue. Horror is often leading you further into chaos; fairy tales are struggling to break free of that gravity. Of course, it's not a hard-and-fast rule, because they are closely connected genres, both relying on the macabre.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.