Thursday, January 8, 2009

For Over-Achievers and Other Demons (Michelle)

My sister pointed out to me yesterday that achievement and creation are different animals. The purpose of writing is creation.

I post this in case any of you, like me, have trouble remembering this.

This has the obvious meaning, of course, that the point of writing (or any other kind of art-making) is not to achieve adulation. But it also applies on the micro scale, I think; for example, yesterday, I was worrying that I wouldn't achieve or accomplish anything by the end of the day if I took the time to try to get my back (currently tied in multiple knots) to relax. That was when my sister pointed out that at least in relation to my art, I shouldn't be trying to accomplish but to create.

I find this a very rich idea, the notion that creation is an act different in kind from "getting something done." If you think about it, "achievement" is all about finishing something (e.g., "demolishing" your to-do list, "completing" your tasks) but creation is about bringing something new into being. Adding rather than subtracting.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes! I keep meaning to write a note that praises this wisdom! You know how I hate the phrase "getting writing done" because that is entirely the wrong attitude! And putting my mind to "creation" makes it feel different - less weighty - than if it truly were a matter of meeting deadlines to please other people.

    This is why this point in my life has been the best for my writing... realizing that it is about creation and not completion!

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.