Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Visibility and Art (Maren)


One of my favorite artists is the Swedish painter Carl Larsson, and I was lucky enough to receive a book of his paintings for Christmas this year. One of the points that the book stressed was that Carl Larsson and his wife decorated their house themselves and, in fact, made most of the decorations themselves.

Of course, this shouldn’t have surprised me. Why wouldn’t an artist make the art in his own house? But, I have to admit, I was surprised. I am used to having my art pre-made. I buy cds, books, and paintings for the walls. When I feel the need for something new, I go to iTunes or Amazon. When I grow tired of the paintings on the walls, I browse sites like Allposters and art.com.

And there’s no doubt that it’s a good thing to have art readily available. My life is richer for having music, books, and pictures in it. At the same time, however, the massive availability of other people’s art means that I rarely think of making my own. Writing and drawing are fairly new activities for me, and I’m enjoying them so much that I wonder why it took me so long to discover them.

Michelle recently posted an article about the lack of solitude in modern life, and this article was helpful to me in thinking about my own creativity. I especially liked the part about visibility as the defining feature of postmodern life. It seems that, to a certain extent, we assign value to art based on its visibility. Most of us scramble to read Oprah’s recommended books; we buy art prints by famous artists; we choose to watch movies that have been pre-reviewed for us by critics. We gravitate towards art based on its visibility, and personal art is rendered unimportant because of its invisibility. The irony is, of course, that the creation of art is always personal, and its visibility is only incidental. When we make visibility the goal, we become less likely to create because, “Well, who’s going to see it anyway?” We lose the joy of creation because creation becomes not an end in itself, but a means of achieving fame.

As I said before, writing is new for me, and I don’t think that anything I write in the near future will become visible to anyone outside of my immediate circle of family and friends. I’m just not that skilled. But that’s okay. My goal right now is to keep writing and to keep finding ways of creating that are personal and that bring joy. And if that means that no one ever hears my stories or sees my drawings besides my family, well, I think I’m okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. Maren! You're writing! How exciting.
    I think it takes a true individual who's extremely curious and confident in themselves and what they like, believe in, etc. to be able to hold their views and not be influenced. I can't say that I'm that kind of a person, but I'd like to be. It's so much harder to not be exposed, but at the same time, you can't be introduced to new things without that exposure. Your thoughts on solitude and visibility reminds me of something when I was younger... In grade school my favorite band was The Beatles because my parents listened to the "Oldies" and it was all I knew. All the girls liked whatever 80s band was hot at the moment. I was in this bubble and had no clue, but I was also too insecure to admit I liked something they never heard of or thought was uncool. What's funny is that those same girls probably now think The Beatles are cool because a) someone told them they are or b) they've finally been exposed. I don't know... Anyway, looking forward to more of your musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this blog post reminded me of my mom, who is ALWAYS drawing, painting, taking pictures, etc. even though her audience is often just us. She's compelled to do it. I just wish she could really accept that only "visible" art is valuable art . . . Anyway, glad to see your byline now appearing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops--I meant to say visible art is NOT the only valuable art. Not sure how I mangled that idea so badly in translation to the screen!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.