Saturday, November 1, 2008

Margaret Atwood and "The Juniper Tree" (Michelle)

I recently ran across this quote from Margaret Atwood in an essay called "Of Souls as Birds." It's in a collection of essays by women writers about their responses to fairy tales called Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales (ed. Kate Bernheimer). I'm very much enjoying the collection, but this quote particularly amused me. She's responding to the lyrical and brutal Grimm tale, "The Juniper Tree," in which a little boy's head gets chopped off by his stepmother. He is ultimately resurrected, in part through his stepsister's love.

In the early sixties I published a poem based on this story [“The Juniper Tree”], which began ‘I keep my brother’s head among the apples.’ My friend Beverley, who worked for the same market-research company as I did, has recently confessed to me tat she came across this poem and was badly frightened by it. She didn’t know about the original story; she thought I might just be too weird for words. Such are the hazards of mythopoetry.

I had to laugh, because (a) it's funny; and (b) I can identify.

At the moment, I am nourishing a secret and not entirely explainable wish to go to the grocery store and take photos of the bins of fantastical gourds and squash that are currently populating the produce section. I just think they look really cool, and they are tickling some part of my creative brain - it's no wonder that squash play such a crucial role in Cinderella. They're also traditional symbols of resurrection, apparently! I can't quite work up the nerve to do it, though, because I will look utterly insane, and I think that there's even an outside possibility that I will be asked to leave.

Such are the hazards, indeed.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, this brings to mind what your excited rambles about squash and pumpkins in the grocery store! But you know... I am just finding these "buried" metaphors in life to be really beautiful... and weird becomes another word for such image-rendering whismy!

    (I love those thoughts about the squash... I went out and bought my own yesterday with the intention of embracing Autumn. There was a flutter in me I just couldn't ignore!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the root of "weird" is the Anglo-Saxon "wyrd," meaning "fate." The Weird Sisters in Macbeth (the witches) can be interpreted as BIZARRE or they can be interpreted as FATEFUL.

    I don't know of the etymology of "weird" qualifies as an excuse for writerly eccentricity, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... wyrd! You've just given me an excuse to love that word even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried shooting produce in the supermarket. They think you're from the FDA or documenting evidence for a lawsuit or something. Unless you're very discreet, you'll get hassled by someone . . . Which has nothing much to do with the main idea of the post. Just sayin'. People are very paranoid about cameras these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I knew you'd know whether I'd get away with or not. I may still try, just to feel like a rebel...but who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

to a blog by three people who write, for anyone else who wants to write. It's a cruel world for creators, and here we promise support, whimsy, and curiosity that will hopefully keep your pen moving and keyboard tapping!

To read more about why Daedalus Notes exists, click
here.